POSITION: Water and Sewer Operator and Maintenance Worker
LOCATION: Red Cliff Reservation
SALARY: $11.00- $13.00/hour, depending upon qualifications, 40 hours/week
SUPERVISOR(S): Public Works Administrator
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION
JOB SUMMARY: Perform a variety of operation and maintenance activities on the community water and sewer systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform various maintenance tasks as directed by the Public Works Administrator.
2. Recording data on water and sewer pumps and other pertinent information.
3. Performing pump and vehicle maintenance and repair. Must be able to operate maintain all equipment.
4. Perform underground line location and marking.
5. Locate, exercise valves and curb shut offs. Mark in GPS to be used in mapping.
6. Perform/oversee excavations and perform necessary repairs to community system.
7. Understand general plumbing.
8. Perform office duties such as filing, compliance sampling to EPA, Phones, etc.
9. Perform daily quality control samples for proper wastewater treatment.
10. May include weekends and /or nights on emergency requests.
11. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: None
KNOWLEDGE: Must be able to read blue prints and understand the schematic. Knowledgeable of Native American tribes and the uniqueness of the Red Cliff Community.
1. Must be at least 18 years of age.
2. A minimum of 1 (one) year work experience in Water & Wastewater treatment is preferred, however, willing to train an applicant with mechanically inclined/maintenance background.
3. State of Wisconsin Water & Wastewater Operator Certification desired; if no certification, must obtain within first year of employment.
4. Must be available for afterhours and/or weekend coverage for emergency situations.
5. Must live within 30 mins driving distance for emergency responses.
6. Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment. Be eligible to be put on the Tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Individual will have daily contact with community members, Tribal Staff, customers, vendors, and other governmental agencies.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Duties assigned to this position involve lifting, bending, carrying, climbing, twisting. These motions generally utilized in field/inventory work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Water and Sewer plant and Tribal lands with a majority of the time working is outside in various weather conditions. Must be able to walk through uneven terrain in various weather conditions
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Will be required to travel locally for inspection purposes. The ability to travel and attend meetings and trainings; overnight and out of town, both locally & nationally.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any behavior or attitude that tarnishes the name or image of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Cover letter and resume.
4. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
POSTING DATE: September 14, 2020
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
(715)779-3700 ext. 4268 or 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Place Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Work Place Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43, and are under a continuing obligation to supplement this application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE
THE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Employees considered to be full time status will be required to pay 12% of the premium for the plan selected.
2. The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
3. Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
4. Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
5. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
6. The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
7. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.