Writing & Reading Center (WRC) Consultant (Part-time)
3 hours ago
(7/28/2021 10:05 AM)
Job ID 2021-1962 Category Education Type Hourly (Part-time) Pay/Salary (Max) USD $17.04/Hr. EDUStaff Position Individuals hired into this position will be employed by EDUStaff and assigned to Mid Michigan College.
Mid Michigan College seeks individuals who are committed to student learning and success; value collegiality and mutual respect; strive to continually improve themselves and their work processes; enjoy collaborating with others; and seek to add value in every interaction.
WRC Consultants are responsible for working one-on-one with Mid Michigan College domestic and international students to provide reading and writing assistance in Library Learning Services.
- Assist students in developing reading strategies to improve their understanding of course materials.
- Consult with students from all disciplines and help them to plan, draft, revise, and edit their writing assignments.
- Discuss academic honesty and demonstrate appropriate source integration and citations.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of individual student consultations.
- Respond to questions about WRC services through email or telephone. May provide written feedback to students for papers submitted online.
- Participate in Writing and Reading Center outreach activities, including but not limited to orientations, classroom visits, workshops/presentations, etc.
- Develop handouts, videos, or other learning/study strategy resources to support student learning and success.
- Attend Library Learning Services, WRC, and English Department meetings to keep informed of policies, expectations, and pedagogical/curricular discussions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of current Writing Center pedagogy and second language acquisition process.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- High proficiency in computer usage, including Microsoft Office, Google Docs/Calendar, and database interaction (student information system).
- Excellent time management skills.
- Knowlege and understanding of Moodle and Zoom.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality pertaining to student records.
- Effective presentation, public speaking, and facilitation skills.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- BA/BS degree in English, TESOL, or related field required.
- Master’s degree in English, TESOL, or related field preferred.
- Prior experience working in a Writing Center preferred.
- Experience teaching developmental or college-level English and/or ESL classes preferred.
- Previous experience in a community college preferred.
- The job responsibilities of this position are performed in an office environment which requires a professional image and demeanor, on-time attendance and reliability. The environment has little, if any discomfort due to heat, cold or dust. There is light noise within the environment.
- There may be occasional travel to other college locations for meetings or scheduled work.
- Job duties may be performed in an independent or a team atmosphere.
- The job has intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending, climbing, lifting material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward (5- 45 pounds).
- Must meet reasonable and sometimes shifting deadlines, quotas, or demands for accuracy, and may be involved in some unpleasant situations.
- Typical work schedule is flexible with extended hours as needed by department demands.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified. Incumbents may be asked to perform additional duties as required by his/her supervisor.
Mid Michigan College is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination in employment or the provisions of services.