Under the supervision of the City Manager, assists in personnel administration and purchasing/procurement. Serves as an administrative assistant or secretary for numerous functions including assistant to the City Manager for human resources and assistant to the City Manager for purchasing. Assists the Economic Development Manager with economic development projects. Also serves as the recording secretary to the Civil Service Board and as FMLA Coordinator. Functions as a paraprofessional with a broad scope of duties, including responsibility for confidential materials.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as a back-up purchasing agent to the Assistant City Manager at the City Manager’s direction. Assists departments in preparing requests for proposals and sends out notices; assists in bid openings and tabulations. Responds to inquiries and processes change orders for all departments.
- Serves as a receptionist for the office cooperatively with the Executive Assistant to the City Manager. Receives telephone calls and assists walk-in visitors. Receives and responds to complaints and requests for services. Explains department procedures and/or refers to appropriate department.
- Performs a variety of tasks in support of the City’s human resources function. Maintains personnel records and receives requests for file access. Responds to employee questions regarding employment conditions within established parameters.
- Responsible for various recruitment tasks. Assists departments with posting notices, and coordinating physicals and background checks. Receives applications, schedules and monitors testing. and ensures proper employee on-boarding. Assists with new employee evaluation process. Maintains eligibility lists for hiring.
- Conducts confidential employee exit interviews and the separation process for all separating City employees.
- Maintains random drug files and coordinates the process for all applicable employees.
- Attends meetings of the Civil Service Board and prepares agendas. Records minutes and maintains minute book. Functions as back-up for City Council recording secretary.
- Assists the Economic Development Manager in economic development workload by providing administrative support and follow-up duties related to particular projects.
- Composes correspondence involving confidential or technical information.
- Coordinates with professional groups in the areas of purchasing and human resources to share and receive templates, specifications, professional input and other information.
- Interacts with the City Attorney, labor attorney, vendors, consultants, department heads and others in the course of performing personnel-related duties.
- Coordinates city-wide training and employee recognition programs.
- Develops, maintains and recommends employee succession plans.
- Performs other duties, as required.