NOTICE OF FULL-TIME POSITION OPENING
August 8, 2023
TITLE School Social Worker
DATE OF POSITION OPENING On or about August 21, 2023
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION The individual selected for this position will be responsible for A) educational assessments of regular education students (suspected of being eligible for special education) and special education students, B) providing crisis intervention support to special education students, and C) helping to plan and implement appropriate behavioral intervention techniques with teachers and staff in assigned buildings.
1. Initiate, facilitate and/or coordinate Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET) assessments in response to referrals for students suspected of having Emotional Impairments or Autism Spectrum Disorder.
2. Write reports and interpret the results of assessments to referral sources, parents, and other appropriate individuals.
3. Attend REED, MET, IEP and other meetings for assigned caseload.
4. Provide behavioral intervention and program-planning ideas for students in WMISD programs and local districts, as assigned.
5. Provide consultation to parents, school personnel, students and others.
6. Provide direct therapy and/or school-based counseling to individuals and small groups of students as identified eligible to receive such services outlined on IEPs.
7. Partner with representatives of other agencies in arranging and coordinating services for students with social-emotional and/or behavioral needs.
8. Complete all forms and reports in a timely manner consistent with ISD policies and procedure.
9. Solve problems in a professional, constructive, people-friendly manner.
10. Attend relevant professional development activities.
11. Support and participate in Response to Intervention/Multi-tiered System of Support structures in assigned school districts.
1. Candidates must meet Michigan State Department of Education criteria for full or temporary approval as a School Social Worker, have a Master’s degree, and be licensed as a Master’s Social Worker.
2. Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
3. Knowledge of behavior management techniques, writing behavior intervention plans, functional behavior assessment, and implementing positive behavioral supports.
4. Knowledge of and/or willingness to develop skills in: Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI), Love & Logic, Life Space Crisis Intervention, and other similar programs would be helpful.
5. Experience working with students with intensive social-emotional/behavioral needs.
WAGES AND BENEFITS According to the Professional Association
contract HOURS TO BE WORKED 7.5 hours daily
CALENDAR Professional staff school year
WMISD may offer the following incentives to the successful candidate:
- Sign on bonus
- Stipend for moving expenses
- Three insurance package options, including one that is free to cover the employee and the entire family
- Retention pay
- Tuition reimbursement towards continuing education related to scope of work
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Qualified applicants must submit:
● Application (online by going to the WMISD Website (https://wmisd.org/job-postings/))
● Cover letter
● Three letters of reference from individuals familiar with the candidate’s work experience and abilities
Please email application materials in one PDF to:
Trina Scott, Human Resources Assistant
For questions specific to this position, please contact:
Andrea Scheidel, Assistant Superintendent of Special Education
APPLICATION DEADLINE August 21, 2023 at 3:00 pm, or until filled