Every single young person has a fair chance to thrive — and they need your help. As a member of the Alliance’s AmeriCorps VISTA program, you’ll spend a year helping one of our partner organizations serve young people in Minnesota through capacity building, strengthening and connecting resources, and developing programs and processes With your help, these organizations can create more effective and powerful solutions for young people facing poverty, racism, and educational inequities in our state. The work will be challenging. But you’ll have the support you need to do it well, all year long — financial assistance, mentorship and leadership training, and the extraordinary community of your fellow VISTA members.
Minnesota Alliance With Youth works in partnership with youth to ensure that ALL young people have equitable educational opportunities that foster their individual assets, honor their voices, and prepare them to reach their goals. We envision a Minnesota that supports young people in building their own present and future.
Through their service, Alliance VISTAs implement three key strategies:
- Build capacity at their host site organization to help address education inequities such as the achievement and opportunity gaps
- Coordinate efforts that bridge and build the integration of school and community-wide support for youth focused on providing and sharing resources that increase a young person’s school attendance, behavior, and course performance (all indicators with a strong link to academic engagement and high school graduation)
- Actively engage youth as agents of change in closing the opportunity and achievement gaps in their communities.
This position is placed at Junior Achievement North. Junior Achievement North (JA) envisions a world where young people have the skillset and mindset to build thriving communities. To help close the wealth and skills gap, JA delivers high impact and targeted programming to equitably expand access to life-changing financial literacy, career readiness, and entrepreneurship programming. Our K-12 sequential pathway approach ensures students are more likely to stay in school, pursue a post-secondary degree, and develop essential skills for the workforce such as critical thinking, problem solving, and time management. JA is committed to ensuring the best outcomes and deepest impact for students served by our program. JA focuses on: (1) Building financial stability for young people; (2) Connecting students to real life skills and careers; (3) Igniting youth entrepreneurship; and (4) Cultivating engaged community leaders. JA serves students, educators, and partner schools throughout MN, ND, and western WI. Annually, we serve more than 90,000 students. The Greater Minnesota VISTA will build the operational capacity of JA North’s Greater Minnesota footprint. By identifying best practices and partnerships and training staff and partners, JA will impact more rural students and communities. Apply today if you are interested in building or have skills related to researching and process improvement.
The Minnesota Alliance With Youth AmeriCorps VISTA Program is committed to providing ongoing, extensive professional development and training to our AmeriCorps Members. As an Alliance AmeriCorps VISTA, you will gain behind-the-scenes experience at your host site, learn from mentors and peers, and benefit from a wide range of workshops and training led by community members and experts in the Alliance’s statewide network. Your year as an Alliance AmeriCorps VISTA will empower you to develop your professional skills, make a difference for those you serve, and emerge as a leader in Minnesota’s educational equity sector. The Alliance VISTA Program offers over 200 hours of training and Professional Development opportunities for members during their service year:
- On-site Orientation at your host-site to prepare you for your specific role.
- Monthly cohort trainings on a wide range of topics tailored to your specific interests and goals – ranging from education reform, the opportunity gap, conflict resolution, and much more.
- Opportunities for networking, personal growth and peer-learning as a member of a close-knit cohort of 15 Alliance AmeriCorps VISTAs.
- One on One support from a VISTA Leader and Alliance Trainer allows for individualized support and coaching throughout your service year.
- $100 in Professional Development funds to use as you choose.
- And much more!
- AmeriCorps Living Stipend: $675.08 twice per month
- AmeriCorps Education Award: $6,895.00 Education Award upon successful completion of service. This award can be used toward federally qualifying student loans or future post-secondary education. Members may waive the education award and choose a $1,800 end-of-service cash stipend instead.
- Benefits: Qualified student loan forbearance, qualified child care assistance, Up to $7,900 in a healthcare allowance plan for out of pocket health care costs, AmeriCoach life coach, TAP transportation card (metro area), $500 in grocery or gas support
- 18 years or older
- High School graduate with a Diploma or GED
- A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the United States
- Not have served more than the allowed number of AmeriCorps terms previous to this term. Eligibility based on AmeriCorps term limitations.
- Able to pass a complete National Service Criminal Service History Background check (including National Sex Offender Registry, State of service and State of residence, and FBI checks)
Learn more about VISTA:
This position starts July 17, 2023. Apply today:
We are accepting applications until March 31, 2023. Please contact Alex Soth at 612.476.0732 or email@example.com if you have any questions!
Please note: This program is available to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, genetic information, and military service. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request for interviews and service activities. This document is available in alternative formats.