Nature of Work
Please note that this job posting is for those who are currently Certified Police Officers or those who will graduate from a Police Academy by August 2021.
More information is available at our website, https://www.joingrpd.com/
Patrol: The purpose of this job is to provide police services to the general public and patrol city streets to provide protection of its citizens. Enforces city ordinances and state laws. Offers professional police presence where needed and requested. Interviews complaints, suspects, and witnesses to criminal activity. Testifies in criminal, civil, or administrative court cases when required.
Community Policing: The purpose of this job is to serve and protect life and property of those within the city limits of Grand Rapids. Enforces laws and ordinances. Works with citizens to address problems and improves police and community relations.
Tactical: The purpose of this job is to perform tactical operations throughout the city. Responsible for Patrol Officer duties in any capacity needed or requested throughout the City, which includes special events, foot, bike, uniformed or plainclothes and Segway patrols.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a Michigan’s Driver’s license by date of hire.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Some experience involving communicating with people under varying circumstances.
- Candidates for positions in this class are required to meet initial employment requirements as established by the Civil Service Board.
- Must take and receive a passing score on the Grand Rapids Civil Service Exam for Police Officers.
Other Necessary Qualifications
Must take and receive a passing score on the Grand Rapids Civil Service Exam for Police Officers. (Study guides and sample exams are available for a fee from the testing company. Information is available at: https://www.ApplyToServe.com/Study/)
Meet all State of Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards Standards, as found HERE.
OUT-OF-STATE CERTIFIED OFFICERS: Please contact the Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) at (517)322-1417 to determine your eligibility and available dates for the Recognition of Prior Training and Experience Program.
**Please note that this job posting is for those who are currently Certified Police Officers or are enrolled in a Police Academy and will be certified by August 2021**
HIRING STEPS (After Application Submission)
(Qualified candidates will be invited to each step. All dates are approximate and may change)
- Written Civil Service examination (How to prepare for the examinations) with orientation to follow: Scheduled once per month
- Background Packets Due Date: Background packets will be due approximately 10 days following written exam results, unless notified otherwise.
- Interviews: Scheduled once per month
- Chief’s Interviews: Qualified candidates will be invited to this step.
- 8 Week In House Orientation (for those selected).
THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY SOCIAL SECURITY. FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Should an applicant need any disability related accommodation or other consideration in the application or selection process, please notify the human resources department upon submittal of application
The City of Grand Rapids does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
City of Grand Rapids
300 Monroe Ave, NW
8th Floor, Room 880
Grand Rapids, Michigan, 49503-2206