The candidate will bring strong organic chemistry, synthetic chemistry and/or medicinal chemistry expertise to the department of discovery chemistry and contribute to small molecule drug discovery project strategy and its execution. She/he will lead from the lab front potentially managing additional CRO resources in synthetic chemistry/medicinal chemistry. The candidate will work with multidisciplinary research teams from in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, CADD, DMPK, Tox and CMC to achieve project goals.
· The candidate will develop scientific leadership especially in area of medicinal chemistry through project execution within a multidisciplinary setting, in combination with internal and external training and by keeping up current literature.
· The candidate is expected to design small molecules and execute their potentially challenging synthesis to explore their biological activities as potential drug candidates. She/He will provide technical leadership in synthetic organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry and often direct external CRO resources.
· Strong collaborative teamwork skills are required to work with multidisciplinary scientists from in vitro/in vivo biology/pharmacology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, toxicology, and structural biology/chemistry.
· This position requires strong oral and written communication skills.
It is a requirement of this position to contribute to a safe and effective working environment and hold high standard in occupational safety.
Act as an ambassador for discovery chemistry internally and externally, and to contribute to its growth through participation in recruitment of external talent and development of internal colleagues.
· PhD in organic chemistry, synthetic chemistry, or medicinal chemistry, with 0-5 subsequent years of experience in the field. Postdoc experience is not required but highly desirable.
· Proficient in all aspects of modern synthetic chemistry with in-depth understanding of molecular interactions
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· A proactive self-starter with strong organizational and analytical skills with a strong team work spirit, able to lead by example within a matrix organization.
· Well-organized and strong resilience, with the ability to thrive in high pressure situations.